Honey is a sweet food made by bees using nectar from flowers
Pure English clear and set honey available
Honeyfields Bee Farm has been producing English honey commercially since 1985. All of our flower honey is produced in the Warwickshire and Leicestershire countryside. Our apiaries are situated in wild meadows, on the edge of hedge rows and around woodland areas. The Warwickshire and Leicestershire country side offers a wide variety of pollen and nectar through the spring and summer for our bees to collect.
AT THIS TIME HONEY IS ONLY AVAILABLE FOR CLICK AND COLLECTION FROM OUR FARM.
HOW BEES MAKE HONEY
Honey is produced by bees collecting nectar from various types of flowers and mixing it with enzymes from glands in their mouth. The bees then store the nectar/enzyme inverted mix in hexagonal wax cells, honeycomb, until the water content is reduced to about 17%. Once this has been achieved the bees seal or cap the cell with a layer of wax. When all the honey cells are capped we know that it is ready to harvest. Honey is harvested twice a year in England, once at the end of the spring and once at the end of the summer.
All English honey will crystallize (set) in time. In case of crystallization stand jar in warm water until it becomes clear.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF HONEY
Honey is a super food that has been used for thousands of years. It has a wide variety of uses from a tasty snack to medical treatments. Some of the health benefits of honey are:
- Anti-bacterial, anti-septic and anti-fungal properties, it is also full of antioxidants.
- Can be used to reduce throat irritation.
- Can be used to reduce skin irritation.
- Used to help heal wounds and burns.
- May relieve seasonal allergies.
- Great source of energy & reduces muscle fatigue.
- Alternative sweetener to using sugar.
- May help to boost the body’s immune system.
- It is often used in cosmetics.